Progress Update – July 2016

I think I have really finished this version of the prototype. Or have I? I don’t know. I’m still kind of working on it but I think it’s finished. So, last time I thought I would do it as a DIY project but I’m still getting a lot of interest from non-DIY which makes me wonder if it might be better to just go the legit route. I think it might be cheaper that way as well. I didn’t get a huge response from the “it’s finished” post last time and that’s okay. I 100% attribute that to my horrible (or non-existent) marketing and promotion. I haven’t really done much marketing or promotion because I was dealing with two nasty bugs that were causing me enough frustration that I could not release anything without fixing the bugs. But, I have fixed those two bugs and things are working better than ever.

I have been looking into making the RN-9090 up to 50% smaller in size and after some careful review and have decided that I just do not like the smaller button pads that I was going to substitute for the ones I use now. They don’t have the same nice translucence that make the whole button light up. They have a “hole” in the coating on the top of the button that lets the unadulterated light though. They are just not quite what I want and I won’t be using them.

I have sort of come to terms with the fact that no matter what, this thing is just going to be huge and expensive. So with that in mind, I have sketched out a framework for improving and expanding the features of the RN-9090. I’m going to expand to 4 virtual pages, 4 unique MIDI In/Outs, quadruple the storage memory, and implement a live record mode for song recording. Just ideas for right now but something that I think would make it more worthwhile for the cost.

I’m also exploring ways to find or create a cheaper enclosure for the RN-9090 as the one I currently use is the largest single cost of the entire project. This is an ongoing struggle I have not found a solution to yet.

I’m working on making a nice encoder/pot PCB for the “faceplace”, making a SMT/SMD version of the main PCB, migrating from Arduino to STM32F, and working on new expanded features. (wow that sounds like a lot when it is all listed out)